Tuesday 12 May 2009

Something a bit different - Topiary Tree




Yesterday I spent a few hours making the above topiary tree, and although its turned out fine Ive got to tell you it wasnt as easy as I thought it was going to be, it took a while to cut out all the circles with my diecut machine, and to assemble it, anyway Im getting ahead of myself so I will start at the begining.

I have used the new circle stamps by Creative Expressions, and the idea is to stamp out 20 of them then paint then or colour them anyway that you would like, Ive used my Artquest paints, it was easier than opening all my H2Os or my cosmic shimmer paints, anyway once they were dry I had to cut them out and score them down the three score lines on each of the circles.

You then assemble them by first sticking 5 of them into a top and 5 into a bottom piece and the other 10 pieces into a band, and this is where the fun starts as you can get rather sticky and I wont say how much trouble I had getting them to stay together, in the end I used some paperclips.

Anyway the last thing you do is punch a hole in the centre of one for the piece of dowel you use for the stem and then you need a pot to stand the tree in. Ive also used a few ribbons which I have attached to the dowel before poking it into the ball. I hope you like it, my hubby was quite taken with it.

I have also posted a photo of my Laburnam tree as I love the hanging display of flowers, hopefully it will give you pleasure as well.

9 comments:

Rach said...

I know that you say that it wasn't easy Shirley but your topiary tree is so effective.. a beautiful project.x

Saskia said...

Great, great work!!!!!

Greetings,
Saskia

Julie said...

Lovely Shirley, Bet you were cursing a bit. It would look lovely in Christmas colours as well

BTW (Insert for card turned out fine)
Love Julie x

Riet said...

Wowww Shirley,what beautiful creation.

Hugs Riet.x

Lia said...

great cards you made I love the colors nd the stamps
hugs lia

andrea said...

it is gorgeous,i have been fine just not had as much time over the last few weeks we had some students staying and my washing machine packed up so with the washing to do by hand not much time for anything else lol,but back to normal now with a new washer so all good

coldwaters2 said...

Hi Shirley first I want to thank you so much for nominating me for a blog award. It means so much to me to know that I was in your thoughts when handing it out words can never say how I feel just that each award is very precious to me.

Wow I have never seen a handmade tree before I think you were very brave and confident to give this ago and you have made a great job of it, love the picture of your tree as well.

Hugs
Lorraine x

Nikki Fairbairn said...

Wow, your topiary tree is fabulous Shirley and all that hard work sure paid off, Big Hugs, Nikki x

Poppy said...

wow Shirley it looks worth all the effort its gorgeous.
poppy