Tuesday 25 August 2009

A Retirement Card for my Hubby


This Friday is my hubbys retirement day, although officially its the day hes been made redundant but as he was due to retire next March I think you can more or less accept that this is probably more likely to be his retirement day. Hes not really looking forward to it, and is a bit depressed about not having to get up and go to work, though hes always worked since he left College so its going to be a big change in his daily life. Lets hope he finds something to bridge that gap and starts to enjoy the fact he hasnt got to drive so many miles or go out in extremely horrible and nasty cold weather.

Well Ive chosen to use the Meercats that I bought as a digi download a we while ago, hes very fond of Alexander and has it as his mobile ringtone, plus of course he loves the catchpraise "Simples" so I hope that he likes what Ive created for him. I printed the digi stamp onto white card and coloured it with my copic pens, then cut it out with my rotatrim and distressed the edge with a chalk inkpad. The greeting is something I created on my computer and printed that also and mounted them both onto red card ready to put on my base card.

The base card is a 8"x 8" white card, with the first layer of brown pearlescent card, and Ive used this time the new papers from Donna's Country Set of Papers, these are a download from Donna, and if you are interested in buying them please contact her on her blog http://bmd-creations.blogspot.com/ you will also be able to browse some of the designs there. The papers Ive chosen are firstly a brown and red split paper, and on top of this I have made up two mounts the first one a square one made with the same brown card with a retro flower pattern, and the second is a scalloped heart punched out with my Nestabilitie die with red card, and on top of this has been stuck a striped paper.

I then stuck them to my base card towards the right hand side, and my mounted image was stuck to the left, I then positioned my sentiment at the bottom on the right.

16 comments:

Paula said...

What a fabulous card Shirley im sure your Husband will love it i adore the image. I love the simples catch phrase too lol.
Paula xxxx

Poppy said...

great card, hope your husband enjoys his retirement.
poppy

SYLVIA-ANNE said...

Hi Shirley
This is a fabulous Man's card and I love the sentiment too. I can understand fully, when you say your husband is not looking forward to his enforced retirement as you think life will never be the same again. That's true, but in a very positive way. The same thing happened to my hubby too (a few years ago now). However, it's amazing how other things gradually begin to fill your life and you wonder how on earth you managed to find the time to go out to work!! One of the things hubby now thoroughly enjoys is his allotment - free veg, lots of chaps with sheds, and an excuse to get away from "her indoors"!!
Thank you also for the wonderful award - I have never seen that one before - it's beautiful. I will take it now, and link it to your blog.
Love, Sylvia xxxxx

Linda said...

Such a wonderful card Shirley! I'm sure hubby will love it. Maybe he can start crafting with you? There might be an artist hiding inside of him ... take care!

mi sello personal said...

Oh,this card is really fantastic..hugs Laura

Riet said...

What a beautiful card Shirley,i love the image and colours.
So gorgeous papers.

Hugs Riet.x

Claireabelle said...

Shirley this is fab!!!

I hope you husband learns to enjoy his retirement. You should get him into crafting lol
xx

Jules said...

Hi Shirley

What beautiful card you have made for your hubby.

I am sure he will love it as you have filled it with so many lovely personal touches. (The best bit being the heart of course).

Such a shame he has had to receive it a little too early for him to feel comfortable with.

Take care

Love Jules xx

Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft said...

Happy retirement to your husband! Hopefully he can pick up a new hobby to help ease him into retirement.

dolcreations said...

Your husband is going to love this card. Great job!
Christine

Saskia said...

Lovely card... beautiful and funny!

Saskia :)

cats whiskers said...

Hi Sweetie just adore this card as I am sure hubby will, tell him I was dreading retiring really loved my work and being around people thought I would go mad at home, but now I wish there were more hours in the day don't know how I had time to go to work
Hugs to you both
Jacqui x

Elaine said...

Brilliant card!

Denise Clark said...

Too cute! I love the papers and the heart tucked just behind the image. Nice layout! Great colors!

Happy Retirement to your hubby! People have such mixed feelings about retiring. It makes some folks sad and some happy. It is just another step in the ladder of life. I hope he'll find ways to enjoy his new time!

Janet said...

Just beautiful Shirley! I am sure hubby will love it and also enjoy his retirement x

Carole said...

Fabulous card, just love the cool image!
Hope the retirement goes well.
Hugs
Carole x